Affiliate links are used within this post. You can read my full disclosure here.
When we first moved into our new home I couldn’t wait to get baking in our new, larger, kitchen! I just love how I not only have all of this newfound storage, but I have space to work in and I no longer have to worry about overheating the house (#apartmentliving).
One of my favorite go-to bakes that has kept me busy while waiting for baby girl’s arrival has been Joanna Gaines’ chocolate chip cookie recipe from her Magnolia Table vol. 1 cookbook. I found it to be the perfect balance of sweet with a touch of salt – everything this pregnant woman wanted and needed. And naturally, of course, now that we’re Texans I have found myself adding pecans to almost anything I bake. Adding them to this recipe has been the cherry on top of an already great recipe.
Since I had already made her version a few times (and am beginning to feel comfortable with it) I decided to branch out and try a new variety. The cookie recipe I’m sharing today has the framework of JoJo’s chocolate chip cookies, but with a new mouthfeel and flavor: cacao nib and cashew butter granola from Bear Naked.
The Granola Difference
Lately I’ve been using Bear Naked granola on my yogurt as a means to curb my pregnancy-induced sweet tooth. On our most recent grocery trip I thought to try this variety out with fair trade cacao nibs, cashew butter, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), and whole-grain oats. I also love that when taking a peek at the ingredients they use brown rice syrup to sweeten their granola instead of corn syrup (#winning)! I used it myself as a corn syrup alternative in my Pecan Pie recipe!
This recipe has been so much fun to bake – and now play around with. Joanna lays the groundwork for a yummy cookie and there’s no limit to the kinds of ingredients you can add. Nuts, raisins, oats, or keep it classic with chocolate chips…no matter what you’re destined to have plenty of happy friends and family!
Let’s get to the recipe…
Cacao Nib Granola & Pecan Cookies
- Stand Mixer
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Parchment Paper
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 cup Bear Naked Cacao Nib & Cashew Butter Granola
- Preheat your oven to 350° with your racks positioned in the middle.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer beat on med-high speed the butter and light brown sugar until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add eggs one at a time until blended, then add the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add flour mixture (spooning about 1/2 cup at a time) and mix on medium speed until blended. Cookie dough will be thick.
- Add remaining ingredients (granola and pecan pieces) until evenly incorporated.
- Spoon about 1 tbsp of dough on a parchment lined baking sheet (don't flatten!). Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they reach a light golden brown. Remove from oven and place to cool for 1 minute. Then, transfer cookies to cooling rack to finish cooling.
The best part about baking (or cooking in general) is making recipes your own and playing around with them. I hope you enjoy this variation and have fun adding a little more Texas to your next batch of cookies!